Cottrell lands WI retainer

first_imgST JOHN’S, Antigua (CMC):Batsman Leon Johnson and left-arm pacer Sheldon Cottrell have both been handed retainer contracts by the West Indies Cricket Board, despite not featuring for the regional side over the last year.The pair are among a list of 15 players announced by the WICB late yesterday who have been retained for the period beginning last October 1 to September 30 later this year.Johnson, a 28-year-old left-hander, has been repeatedly overlooked in recent months despite the West Indies’ continued struggles at the top of the order.He averages nearly 40 in his four Tests and gathered scores of 54 and 44 in his last Test – against South Africa in Cape Town last January.Fellow Guyanese Rajindra Chandrika has been the preferred choice despite three noughts in six Test innings and an average of 14.Cottrell, meanwhile, has not suited up for West Indies since the one-day series in South Africa last January.The 26-year-old has struggled with injury this year and only recent resumed bowling when he turned out for Jamaica Scorpions in the Regional First Class Championship.He played the last of this two Tests in December, 2014, and has played two one-day internationals.Marlon Samuels has been also retained despite a torrid time with the bat in recent months. The Jamaican gathered 30 runs from four Test innings against Sri Lanka last October and managed only 35 runs in five outings against Australia in the just concluded three-Test series Down Under.Rookies Shai Hope and Shane Dowrich, who like Chandrika both made their Test debuts last year, are also among the 15 retained.RETAINED PLAYERS – Jason Holder, Kraigg Brathwaite, Rajendra Chandrika, Darren Bravo, Marlon Samuels, Denesh Ramdin, Devendra Bishoo, Shannon Gabriel, Jermaine Blackwood, Jerome Taylor, Sheldon Cottrell, Shai Hope, Shane Dowrich, Leon Johnson, Kemar Roach.last_img read more

Read More →

Tanzania mourns 69 killed in fuel tanker blast

first_imgMorogoro (Tanzania): Tanzania was in mourning Sunday, preparing to bury 69 people who perished when a crashed fuel tanker exploded as crowds rushed to syphon off leaking petrol. President John Magufuli declared a period of mourning through Monday following the deadly blast near the town of Morogoro, west of Dar es Salaam. He will be represented at the funerals by Prime Minister Kassim Majaliwa, an official statement said. “We’re currently mourning the loss of 69 people, the last of whom died while being transferred by helicopter to the national hospital in Dar es Salaam,” Majaliwa told residents in comments broadcast on Tanzanian television. Also Read – Saudi Crown Prince ‘snubbed’ Pak PM, recalled jet from USThe number of injured stood at 66, he said. The burials will start Sunday afternoon, Parliamentary Affairs Minister Jenista Mhagama announced during the morning after relatives identified the dead. “The preparations for the burials have been completed. Individual graves have been dug and the coffins are ready,” Mhagama said, adding that experts would be available to offer psychological counselling to the victims’ relatives. DNA tests would be carried out on bodies that were no longer recognisable, Mhagama said, adding that families could take the remains of their loved ones and organise their own burials if they preferred. Also Read – Record number of 35 candidates in fray for SL Presidential pollsIn the latest in a series of similar disasters in Africa, 39 seriously hurt patients had been taken to hospital in Dar es Salaam while 17 others were being treated in Morogoro, 200 kilometres (125 miles) west of the economic capital of Tanzania. Footage from the scene showed the truck engulfed in flames and huge clouds of black smoke, with charred bodies.The burnt-out remains of motorcycle taxis lie scattered on the ground among scorched trees. A video posted on social media showed dozens of people carrying yellow jerricans around the truck.last_img read more

Read More →

Ottawa looking into Tim Hortons parent company

first_imgThe federal government is looking into Restaurant Brands International, the Brazilian owned parent company of Tim Hortons.The Globe & Mail reports and sources confirm to 680NEWS’s Richard Southern that it’s concerning allegations RBI has not lived up to the conditions set out by the federal government that allowed the company to buy the coffee chain in 2014.Those conditions include not increasing franchisee rents for five years.Franchise owners claim that the head office has effectively raised rents by shifting costs for their supplies to them.The Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development Navdeep Bains, says, they are “aware of the concerns raised by the franchisees and looking into them. We are monitoring compliance with the undertakings, as we do with all investments.”Talked to Mr. Bains office. This is a matter of semantics. They confirm to me they are “looking into the matter” and “Analyzing the takeover documents” looking for wrongdoing. It’s not an investigation in the legal sense of the word but very much like one https://t.co/RJzsupt2zv— Richard Southern (@richard680news) April 13, 2018Restaurant Brands International (RBI) claimed that it has not heard of any federal investigation. Minister Bains office says an official government investigation is impossible in this case and what’s currently being done if the closest the ministry will come to any investigation. His office said they are “looking into the matter” and “analyzing the takeover documents” looking for wrongdoing. It’s not an investigation in the legal sense of the word but they have allocated staff to analyze the matter.A war has been brewing between Tim Hortons store owners and Restaurant Brands International for some time now.Last year, approximately 70 per cent of franchise owners formed a group to push back against the head office which they claimed was hurting the brand.“Rome is burning!” said David Hughes, President of the Great White North Franchisee Association in a statement to 680NEWS. “Tim Hortons employs 150,000 across the country, and with our plight in the news across the country for over a year now, we’ve had no government help at any level”“More importantly, where is RBI’s Board of Directors (the so-called Captains of Industry)? They would be the obvious choice to mediate a solution. But they too have remained silent.”“GWNFA has been the only group advocating for the Canadian franchisees and trying to salvage this great Canadian icon from the egregious management policies and practices that RBI has put in place.”Tim Hortons has faced some negative publicity as of late.Some of its Ontario franchisees clawed back employee benefits following the minimum wage hike, and three weeks ago, Restaurant Brands International announced plans for a $700-million dollar renovation of store Interiors with franchise owners expected to split the bill.Same store sales at the chain have softened in recent quarters and shares in Restaurant Brands International are down 8.5 per cent this year.last_img read more

Read More →