Belgian coronavirus survivor leaves hospital after turning 100

first_imgA 100th birthday is an occasion to celebrate in the best of times. During a coronavirus epidemic that has cut a swathe through Europe’s elderly and vulnerable, it proved inspirational.On Wednesday, staff and well-wishers at the Bois de l’Abbaye hospital in eastern Belgium took a moment to salute newly-minted centenarian Julia Dewilde. Dewilde’s story seems to have done her hard-pressed carers good, too, providing a moment of triumph in a tough season for nurses and doctors beset with the pandemic.”She’s one of our greatest successes. It’s heartwarming,” said Laura Bertrand, the nurse who has followed Dewilde’s case since she was admitted to the hospital in Seraing, outside Liege.Like many other retirees, the centenarian was diagnosed with the novel coronavirus infection and breathing difficulties in mid-April and admitted to hospital.She developed a bacterial infection as well, that needed antibiotic treatment, and was re-hydrated and given oxygen to alleviate her respiratory problems. But she was not intubated and was never transferred to the intensive care unit.Instead, after 19 days during which she clocked up 100 years on earth, she gradually recovered and eventually passed a test confirming her recovery.With 11.5 million inhabitants and 7,500 coronavirus deaths — mainly among those older than 75 — Belgium is per capita one of the worst hit countries.But the small kingdom’s figures are more up to date than many of its neighbors, with those who die in retirement homes — around half of the fatalities — counted in the latest official toll. The retiree, who was born during the Spanish Flu pandemic of 1918-1920, celebrated her birthday at the weekend, four days before a test confirmed her recovery from COVID-19 and she was allowed to return to her retirement home.There, she will at last be allowed a visit from her loved ones.”Yes, they’ll come tomorrow,” she exclaimed, as she was wheeled out of the hospital to the cheers of staff and the clicks of journalists’ cameras.    “I’ll see them tomorrow. It will do me good.”center_img Topics :last_img read more

Read More →

Thousands of Daimler employees trim hours to save jobs

first_imgThousands of Daimler employees have agreed to cut their hours and give up bonuses this year to save jobs amid the coronavirus crisis, the German carmaker said Tuesday.The Mercedes-Benz manufacturer was already grappling with a painful restructuring set to include a major jobs cull before the pandemic sent car sales plummeting.Daimler said in a statement it had reached a deal with German unions that would see administrative employees and staff in other non-factory areas such as logistics, work two hours less a week and take a corresponding pay cut for one year from October 1. Daimler, which employs nearly 300,000 people worldwide, did not say how many employees in Germany would be affected by the deal.Daimler’s German workers have also agreed to forego their annual profit-sharing bonus this year, which amounted to almost 600 euros ($700) per person in 2019, the statement added.”We want to thank the workforce for their important, temporary contribution to overcoming this crisis together,” Daimler personnel chief Wilfried Porth said.Workers’ representative Michael Brecht called the agreement “a clear contribution to securing jobs and stabilizing our financial situation”. Daimler announced in 2019 that at least 10,000 jobs would be culled as part of the group’s efforts to save 1.4 billion euros by 2022, mainly through voluntary redundancies and early retirement schemes.But German media have reported that number could climb as high as 20,000 as Daimler, like other automakers, faces fallout from weeks of coronavirus lockdowns that halted production lines and kept dealerships closed.The group posted last week a loss of nearly two billion euros in the second quarter of 2020 owing to the pandemic’s impact.Although sales began to recover as countries eased lockdown measures, Daimler chief executive Ola Kallenius warned that the coming “months and years will be a challenge”.Topics :last_img read more

Read More →

Thunder’s Sam Presti, Billy Donovan receive death threats over recent moves

first_img Chris Paul trade rumors: Guard expected to start next season with Thunder Chris Paul trade rumors: Heat not ‘actively pursuing’ deal for Thunder guard “Y’all traded Paul George but kept Raymond Felton. You kept Andre Roberson. Do y’all not love Russell Westbrook?” reads a transcript of one of the voicemails. “I hope he kill everybody. I want to kill everybody.”The Thunder responded to the issue, saying: “We defer to the authorities and they can handle the situation as they see fit.” Related News Thunder general manager Sam Presti and head coach Billy Donovan have received death threats after trading away Paul George and Russell Westbrook, according to KOCO 5 News in Oklahoma City, which cited court documents.Presti and Donovan received threatening voice messages from an angry fan, who said he wanted to kill the GM and coach and he threatened both of their families. The suspect also used a bomb reference as he said he wants to “blow things up.”  Russell Westbrook is ‘the most important player’ in Thunder history, Sam Presti says FROM THUNDER: “We defer to the authorities and they can handle the situation as they see fit.” https://t.co/7j8vvzcETJ— Abigail Ogle (@KOCOAbigail) July 18, 2019Police are continuing to investigate and have a search warrant to investigate where the call originated and the cellphone that was used to make the calls. Court documents revealed that the man said he’s from Virginia, and doesn’t care if he’s reported to the police. The reported threats come after Oklahoma City shifted toward a rebuild this offseason sending George to the Clippers for Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, Danilo Gallinari, five first-round draft picks and the rights to first-round pick swaps in 2023 and 2025. In another blockbuster move, the Thunder traded Westbrook to the Rockets and received Chris Paul, two first-round picks and the rights to first-round pick swaps in 2021 and 2025.Oklahoma City made the playoffs nine of the last 10 seasons, but were eliminated in the first round each of the last three years. The Thunder had hoped to win a championship in the near future, but it likely will take some time as the franchise rebuilds.last_img read more

Read More →

BiH fans leave to Latvia today

first_imgToday, at 4.30 p.m. in organisation of Centrotours agency, several buses will leave Sarajevo and head to Riga in order to watch the match of BiH and Latvia which will be played on 7 June in Riga, reports sportsport.baFans will rest in Warsaw, where they’ll spend the night and they’ll arrive in Riga, one day before the match, on 6 June.Tickets for Riga were sold out during the match with Greece in Zenica, and day after the match all 150 of fans have bought their tickets, and even tickets for the match with Slovakia, which is being played in three  months are selling very fast.(photo: facebook)last_img read more

Read More →

Upper Hill edge out Kakamega to storm final

first_img0Shares0000Upper Hill edged out Kakamega High 4-3 on penalties to reach the final.PHOTO/courtesyNYERI, Kenya July 7- Nairobi’s Upper Hill stormed to the final of the boy’s football in the ongoing Kenya Secondary Schools Sports Association Term 2B Games after edging out the Green Commandos of Kakamega High 4-3 on post-match penalties at the Nyeri Primary School on Friday.The entertaining match ended in a barren draw after extra time to force for the shoot outs that went in favour of Upper Hill, the 2013 champions who will face former champions St. Anthony’s in the decider after the Kitale based side St. Anthony’s eliminated Kathungi 1-0 in the other semi-final. Upper Hill, who are the Metropolitan champions, qualified for their first final in four years and have to thank their goal keeper Duncan Okinyi for saving three spot-kicks from Henry Juma, Boniface Ooko and Joshua Otieno.Upper Hill edged out Kakamega High 4-3 on penalties to reach the final.PHOTO/John GathuaHis counterpart Job Ochieng from Kakamega High stopped two from Finly Osoro and Thomas Nganda.Upper Hill’s Daglas Mokaya, Peter Oudu, Tom Oluoch and Peter Oyier converted their kicks while Alpha Chris, Ronald Sichenje and Yusuf Maingi scored for the Green Commandos.St Anthony’s solitary goal came through two minutes to added time with Silas Ogana scoring the all important goal to see the 2017 boys final have a mouth watering clash when they face Upper Hill.-Girl’s Final-In the girl’s category, Ibinzo from Western will take on Rift Valley Champions Wiyeeta in the final after beating Kobala from Nyanza 2-0 with their goals coming from Cynthia Shilwatso and Mary Ayeta.Wiyeeta registered a similar score line against Jabini where Gentrin Shikangwa found the back of the net twice in the 6th and 9th minutes.Kwanthanze will face Cheptil in the girls volleyball final. PHOTO/courtesyThe girls volleyball final will be a cracker where former champions Kwanthanze from Machakos battle it out with Cheptil.Kwanthanze thrashed Soweto by straight sets while Cheptil knocked out Lugulu by a similar score line.In boy’s volleyball semi-final, Malava beat Cheptil by straight sets to book a final date with Sengera who beat debutants Kangundo 3-1.-By John Gathua0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)last_img read more

Read More →