PGGM among investors backing G7 diversity, development project

first_imgTogether the investors have more than $6trn (€5.1trn) under management, according to announcement from the group.Eloy Lindeijer, CIO of PGGM, said: “Through our participation in the G7 Institutional Investor Initiatives, PGGM is able to contribute to the important sustainability agenda of the G7 summit in Charlevoix, Canada.”Maurice Tulloch, chief executive of international insurance at Aviva, said that in order to achieve the commitment made by governments internationally for a more sustainable future, financial flows and markets had to be reoriented and to become more sustainable.“This global initiative is a critical step to supporting our joint vision of responsible, long-term, investment,” he said.The CFA Institute announced that, as part of the plan, it had been picked along with its international network of societies to create more opportunities in finance and investment management by setting up an internship programme.The programme would focus on women studying at university in certain developing markets, the organisation said. PGGM, Allianz, Generali and other European institutional investors are among a group of 12 large companies backing a project to push forward G7 objectives on development, gender diversity in finance, and climate-related disclosures.The investors – including Natixis Investment and Aviva – are working with the Canadian government on the plan and have all pledged to commit resources, expertise and networks to further three initiatives.The initiatives include: boosting expertise in infrastructure financing and development in emerging and frontier economies; opening opportunities for women in finance and investment worldwide; and speeding up the implementation of comparable climate-related disclosures.Canadian pension funds Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec and Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan are leading the investor group, which also includes Canada Pension Plan Investment Board, AIMCo, OMERS and OPTrust, as well as US public pension fund CalPERS.last_img read more

Read More →

536 fishermen rescued from giant ice floe

first_imgA group of fishermen use a smaller piece of ice as a raft trying to row to the coast, as the ice floe with stranded fishermen on them slowly drifted further away from the land in eastern Siberia, Russia in this Jan. 28, 2020 photo. RUSSIA EMERGENCY SITUATIONS MINISTRY PRESS SERVICE VIA AP According to some of the fishermen, bythe time they had been rescued the rift between the ice floe and the coast wasalready 200 meters wide. (AP) Around 60 more people were able to getback on the shore on their own Tuesday evening, emergency officials said. The rescue operation lasted for almostseven hours. Footage of the incident showed groups of people using smallerpieces of ice as rafts and trying to row to the coast on them, as the ice floewith stranded fishermen slowly drifted further away from the land. MOSCOW – Russia’s emergency servicesrescued 536 ice fishermen after they got stranded on a giant ice floe thatbroke off the island of Sakhalin in eastern Siberia, officials said.last_img read more

Read More →

Survey: 7% Choose Between Doctor And Living Necessities

first_imgJennifer Chubinski, Director of Community Research for Interact for Health.CINCINNATI, Oh. –The Greater Cincinnati Community Status Survey has found that less than 7 percent of adults in Southeast Indiana said they or someone in their home went without doctor’s care in the past 12 months because the household needed the money for food, clothing or housing.This compares to an overall regional percentage of 15 percent. The regional number has remained relatively steady since 2010, after nearly tripling between 2005 and 2010.“Timely, appropriate health care has been repeatedly shown to have a positive impact on health outcomes,” says Jennifer Chubinski, Director of Community Research for Interact for Health. “If not treated early, a minor health issue can turn into a serious, chronic and costly health condition. Unfortunately, many people are forced to choose between health care and other essential items, which may have long-term health impacts.”The survey shows the percent of people going without care due to cost varies according to level of education.30 percent of adults with less than a high school education report going without care due to cost, compared to about 1 in 10 adults with at least a high school education (13 percent).Only 5 percent of adults with a college degree report choosing between health care and other basic needs.“Not surprisingly, adults in poverty and without health insurance must make this difficult choice more frequently,” says Chubinski.Nearly 3 in 10 adults in poor or fair health report going without care due to cost, compared to only about 1 in 10 adults with excellent, very good or good health.“This may reflect the consequences of being forced to neglect health needs in favor of other basic needs,” says Chubinski.Consistent with survey responses in previous years, only 1 in 25 adults over age 65 reports going without a doctor’s care for financial reasons. This compares to about 1 in 6 adults aged 18-64.The 2013 Greater Cincinnati Community Health Status Survey (CHSS) is conducted by the Institute for Policy Research at the University of Cincinnati. A total of 4,929 randomly selected adults residing in 8 Ohio counties, 9 Kentucky counties, and 5 Indiana counties were interviewed by telephone between August 20, 2013 and Jan. 19, 2014.last_img read more

Read More →

Gilbert A. Meyer

first_imgGilbert A. Meyer, age 92 of Oldenburg, died Thursday, June 2, 2016 at St. Andrew’s Health Campus.  Born April 9, 1924 in Franklin County Indiana, he is the son of Amelia (Nee: Waechter) and Frank Meyer.  He married Jeanne Schuck November 18, 1942 at St. John the Baptist Church in Harrison, Ohio and she preceded him in death February 10, 1987.  He married Bernadette Struewing June 24, 1988 at the Srs. of St. Francis Chapel in Oldenburg and she survives.  He served in the Navy during World War II.Gilbert worked as an electrician and maintenance supervisor 50 years for the Srs. of St. Francis Convent.  He teased that it was his home away from home.  He was a member of Holy Family Church, the Batesville V.F.W. Post #3183, served on the Oldenburg Utility Board for many years and was a long time member of the Eagle Fire Company, serving as chief as well.  He was civic minded and took pride in Oldenburg.Gilbert loved to garden.  For years he would put out a large vegetable garden and also enjoyed tending to his flower beds.  An avid reader, he liked newspapers as much as a good book.  He would often read the newspaper from cover to cover. His family said he enjoyed a good meal with chicken and roast beef among his favorites.  Being with family and friends was his greatest pleasure.He is survived by his wife Bernadette; daughters Barbara Susorney of Marquette, Michigan, Loraine Meyer of Shelbyville, Indiana, Ruth Meyer of La Grange, Georgia, Dorothy Ziegler of Batesville; son Edward of Harrison, Ohio; brother Leon of Adams, Indiana; step daughters Carol Hoog of Indianapolis, Dianne Sherman of Paxton, Illinois; step sons Arnold Kirschner of Batesville, Richard Kirschner of St. Louis, Missouri; nine grandchildren, ten step grandchildren, five great grandchildren and twenty three step great grandchildren.  In addition to his wife Jeanne and his parents, he is also preceded in death by daughters Anne Meyer, Mary Jo Goldsmith; son Jerome; sister Edith Albers; brothers Donald, Clifford, Adrian and step daughter Mary Jane Stohry.Visitation is Monday, June 6th, from 4 – 7 p.m. at the Weigel Funeral Home with a rosary service at 4 p.m.  Funeral services are 10 a.m. Tuesday, June 7th, at Holy Family Church with Rev. David Kobak O.F.M. officiating.  Burial will follow in the church cemetery with military rites conducted by the Batesville V.F.W. Post #3183 and the Prell-Bland American Legion Post #271.  The family requests memorials to Srs. of St. Francis or the Holy Family Capital Improvement Fund.last_img read more

Read More →

Rigsby repeats at Thunder Hill

first_imgBy Larry Lowrey Jr.MAYETTA, Kan. – Bryan Rigsby held off challenges from Matt Haid and Mat Stallbaumer in winning his second straight Repair Service IMCA Stock Car main event Saturday at Thunder Hill Speed­way.Stallbaumer, previously the only repeat winner this season, owned the top spot early and went door-to-door with Rigsby. As they came down the front stretch, the two made contact and Stallbaumer spun to bring out the yellow.When the race went back to green, it was Marvin Griffith Jr.’s chance to take the top spot from Rigsby but a couple yellows halted his momentum. A late-race restart saw mechanical issues plague the former champ.Haid pulled along side Rigsby in the late laps while Stallbaumer worked his way from the back of the field. In the end it was Rigsby holding off Haid and Stallbaumer for his second consecutive feature win.Jordan Grabouski made his return to Mayetta a winning one, topping the BSB Manufacturing IMCA Modified main event. Tyler Frye was first to the checkers for the seventh time in as many Bad Boyz II Bail Bonds IMCA Northern SportMod mains.Tenth starting Kyle Pfeifer raced to his first local Midwest Vending IMCA Hobby Stock feature win of 2015.last_img read more

Read More →

Gazidis relaxed on Wenger contract

first_img Press Association A new deal between Arsenal and Arsene Wenger will be announced “at the right time”, according to chief executive Ivan Gazidis. Gazidis also indicated there was no panic over time frames when speaking at the launch of Arsenal’s new long-term partnership with Puma, which will see the company become the club’s official kit suppliers from July 2014. “We have always been completely behind him. We are comfortable in the position and relaxed about it. Arsene will be extending with us and at the right time we will make that announcement,” Gazidis told the news conference. Meanwhile, Wenger has hit back at old rival Jose Mourinho’s claim that his side get an easy ride on fixtures. Chelsea boss Mourinho said last week that the Gunners get a certain “influence” when it came to their schedule, something Wenger was eager to refute as he prepared for the trip to Southampton. “In the last five years all the objective studies that have been made show Arsenal had less rest than any other team in the top four,” he said. “That is facts. It has nothing to do with my opinion. It is an independent company that made (the study) that shows Arsenal had less rest than any other team in the top level.” It is understood that the study Wenger referred to was conducted as part of an internal analysis of Arsenal’s fixture programme. center_img The 64-year-old’s current contract expires at the end of the season and negotiations have been going on for some time to tie up Wenger’s long-term future, with the club currently top of the Barclays Premier League. Wenger continues to play down the concern when pressed on the issue by the media, but last month indicated he had made a decision. last_img read more

Read More →

Hazard missing for Blues

first_img The Belgium playmaker also remains a doubt for Tuesday’s Champions League semi-final first leg trip to Atletico Madrid. Jose Mourinho has a clean bill of health for the rest of his squad for the visit of the Black Cats. Press Association Eden Hazard will miss Chelsea’s Barclays Premier League clash with Sunderland at Stamford Bridge on Saturday. “Eden Hazard won’t be fit for tomorrow, but everyone else trained today, so we’re not in bad shape,” said assistant Steve Holland. Mourinho’s vast experience of launching successful trophy bids on multiple fronts could prove crucial as Chelsea chase both Premier League and Champions League crowns. “Experience is always vital in any competition and we have a good blend in our squad,” said Holland. “We have many players that haven’t been in this situation before, but also a good group that have. “We also have a very experienced manager who has been in this situation before, and it’s good to have that experience at this stage. “We’ve got the circumstances we have: this is a club used to playing a lot of matches at this stage of the season. “Last season we got to the final of the Europa League which was 15 extra matches, the year before we had 13 for the Champions League. “We’re in a situation we’ve been in before. “It’s a really challenging period emotionally; you’ve got to have experienced it to appreciate what it takes out of the players. “That makes the challenge more difficult, but it’s the way it is, it’s something we’ve done before, we’ve got a good squad and we’ve got to do it again.” Gus Poyet has challenged Sunderland striker Connor Wickham to prove he is a Premier League striker and give his side renewed hope of survival. The 21-year-old fired the Black Cats to within minutes of a remarkable victory at title-chasing Manchester City on Wednesday evening until keeper Vito Mannone’s late error robbed them of two points and the England Under-21 international of the headlines. However, he will run out at Chelsea for an equally difficult mission as the man in possession with Steven Fletcher injured and Fabio Borini, Jozy Altidore and Ignacio Scocco having slipped behind him in the pecking order. Wickham, an £8.1million signing from Ipswich in June 2011, has had to remain patient and has been sent out on loan twice earlier this season, and head coach Poyet has urged him to make the most of his chance now that it has arrived. He said: “For a player to come together at a very early age with that price tag on his shoulders, everything needs to be good, and the most important part is that the team is performing well and has got the time to play and get used to him. “It’s a process, so who knows? Maybe the best thing for Connor is that the team is playing in the relegation battle and he is part of it. “Maybe if we were playing for something else or Fletch was fit and scoring goals, maybe he wouldn’t be playing. Sometimes, you have to take advantage of any situation.” The point with which Sunderland returned from the Etihad was welcome, but it still left them six shy of safety with just five games to play. The chances of them reducing that gap further this weekend look remote with Chelsea unbeaten in the league at Stamford Bridge under manager Jose Mourinho in 77 attempts. But having come so close to upsetting the odds in Manchester this week, Poyet will travel south looking for a similarly Herculean effort which would make he and his players hugely popular on Merseyside as leaders Liverpool hope for a Chelsea slip. The Uruguayan said: “Who would have thought Sunderland are maybe going to decide the title one way or another? No-one, eh? “We don’t play for anyone apart from ourselves. It’s going to be more of a shock if we beat Chelsea because they have never lost at home under Mourinho in the Barclays Premier League. “If you think why Sunderland, people would ask why? We will see. “The idea is to go and be brave, but not brave in terms of taking risks and being silly. The idea is to be brave playing the way we play, defending how we need to defend and trying to play our football and staying in the game all the time, any result for or against, staying in the game and being part of the game. “It doesn’t just depend on what Chelsea are going to do.” last_img read more

Read More →

Berghuis set for Watford move

first_img Berghuis agreed personal terms with Watford last week but the transfer was held up while the clubs negotiated a fee. Press Association Sport understands AZ have now accepted a bid close to £4.6million for the player and that Berghuis will arrive in London on Friday to undergo a medical. Watford are set to make their 10th signing of the summer with the addition of Dutch forward Steven Berghuis from AZ Alkmaar. Press Associationcenter_img The 23-year-old forward was AZ’s star player last season, scoring 11 goals in 22 league appearances, and he also attracted interest from Eredivisie champions PSV Eindhoven this summer. The move will take the Hornets’ summer signings into double figures after Jose Manuel Jurado, Miguel Britos, Sebastian Prodl, Giedrius Arlauskis, Matej Vydra, Jose Holebas, Etienne Capoue, Valon Behrami and Allan Nyom all penned permanent deals at Vicarage Road. last_img read more

Read More →

T10 League gets ICC’s approval, Second edition to be held in Sharjah

first_imgNew Delhi: The International Cricket Council (ICC) has officially sanctioned the second edition of the T10 League to be held from November 23 in Sharjah, the tournament organisers said on Tuesday.The apex body’s validation comes as a shot in the arm for the league that will have two new teams taking them to a strong eight teams and a ten-day competition, according to a release.The T10 League is the evolution of cricket, from 50-over games to 10-over games. The ICC, last season, had given the go ahead to the organisers to run the first 10 overs format league in the world. The Eoin Morgan-led Kerala Kings won the inaugural edition last year.“This sanction from ICC for T10 League gives our partners, stakeholders and more importantly the players a much-needed boost. Having said that, it additionally gives us responsibility to ensure we keep growing year-on-year and make this format globally acceptable,” Shaji Ul Mulk, Chairman, T10 League, said in a statement.The second edition of the tournament will have the player draft in September. Afghanistan spin wizard Rashid Khan (Maratha Arabians), Pakistan’s Shahid Afridi (Pakhtoons) and Shoaib Malik (Punjabi Legends), England’s Eoin Morgan (Kerala Kings), New Zealand’s Brendon McCullum (Rajputs), West Indies’ Sunil Narine (Bengal Tigers) and Darren Sammy (Northern Warriors) and Australia’s Shane Watson (Karachians) have already been roped in as Icon players for their respective franchises. IANSlast_img read more

Read More →

USG Wellness Committee addresses health concerns

first_imgThe weekly USG Senate meeting Tuesday night featured a presentation from USG’s wellness committee on student health concerns.A major focus of the presentation was adding green space on campus. Assistant Director of Wellness Affairs A.J. Pinto said he is personally dissatisfied with the lack of open space for recreational activity.“We’re the only school in the Pac-12 without significant amount of green space on campus or a field for recreation. It’s absolutely unheard of,” Pinto said.Though there are tentative plans for recreational space in the new University Village, committee members worry that current students will not be able to enjoy these recreational benefits during their time at USC.“I’m worried that improvements will take many years, and that students here now and students coming here in the next few years will never experience recreation and relaxation,” Pinto said. “I don’t want the UV to be used as a Band-Aid.”The committee also talked about issues of overcrowding and faulty exercise equipment at the Lyon Center. The student gym experienced an unspecified cut to its funding in the new Student Affairs budget.In open comments before the meeting adjourned, Greek Senator Jamie Dick announced that university officials have approved the installation of new sidewalks on 28th Street, also known as The Row, and that construction will begin immediately. Follow us on Twitter @dailytrojanlast_img read more

Read More →