O’Neill brushes aside Games negativity

first_imgDuring the official opening of the Sir John Guise Outdoor and Indoor Stadiums today, O’Neill stated that he is determined to deliver the best Games against all the negativity from critics.He said the outdoor stadium was built before 1991 to host the South Pacific Games but over 25 years, it had decayed and as a result, he needed to spend some money to rehabilitate the facility.“When we came into Government in 2011 we were three years behind already and as a result many of our critics told us to cancel hosting the Games.“If we had cancelled we would have been the only country in the Pacific to have done so and that would create an embarrassment for PNG as a regional leader,” he said.K1.2 billion from the government has been spent on all infrastructures and 64 million kina in cash and kind has been given to the Games Organising Committee (GOC) from the private and public sector.“Sadly there were negative people who wanted to continually undermine the good work of our Games organisers, who made outlandish claims and tried to sour the national sentiment – but they are being proven wrong.“Congratulations to the Minister for Sports and National Events and to our games organisers for your tireless efforts. Thank you for your dedication to your jobs and to our country.“Of course now is not the time to take a break but to keep working hard and doing your best.“The finish line is in sight and we thank you for your efforts in delivering what I know will be the best Pacific Games ever.” “This is just the beginning and we’ll judge our performance and where our athletes will do us proud after the Games,” he added.In addition, the PNG police, soldiers and correctional officers will provide security during the Games.last_img read more

Read More →

Samoan referee ready for Games

first_imgThe young Samoan woman arrived today (Monday), and said the jet lag associated with the long journey had already made her to miss home and family.But the FIFA and Oceania certified assistant referee is not new to the international scene, having officiated in five regional Oceania sanctioned events already.  Salamasina said that the PNG women will be hard to beat on their home soil and are favourites to claim their fourth consecutive gold medal.    Samoa will be fielding a women’s team only in the Pacific Games.last_img read more

Read More →

Volleyball goes into semi-finals today

first_imgFour top teams from each division will battle it out for the medal play off on Saturday.The first match today at the BSP Arena is between home girls PNG and American Samoa.PNG will be looking to get all their support from the home crowd while the American Samoans are set to give them a good challenge.Gold medal holders Tahiti will play 2011 silver medallist, New Caledonian women in the next game. In the men’s, 2011 silver medallist Tahiti will be aiming to qualify for the gold play off when they take on New Caledonia at 3pm.Home team PNG will take on gold medal holders Wallis and Futuna in the last semi-final match at 5pm.This is the game to watch as Wallis and Futuna mean business as they’re out to defend their gold medal but PNG will have home crowd advantage so it could be anybody’s game.last_img read more

Read More →

Hunters lose Zeming and Amean to injury

first_imgZeming and Amean suffered serious injuries during last Sunday’s 24-8 loss to the Norths Devils.Zeming underwent an operation to his thumb while Amean is undergoing scans to his knee.Coach of the Hunters, Michael Marum will finalize the 18 man squad this Thursday before the team departs for Australia on Friday.The round 17 game against the Tweed Heads Seagulls on Sunday will kick off at 2pm at the Piggabeen Sports Complex, Brisbane.last_img

Read More →

Coronavirus: discover in real time the location and confirmed cases

first_imgImage: iStock Coronavirus is a type of virus whose origin is unknown. In general, people suffer at some point in their life and usually happens during childhood. It can generate from a simple cold to a serious respiratory problem similar to pneumonia. At present, this virus has become more known as an outbreak in the city of Wuhan, China emerged in late 2019. As a result of this situation, many countries were alerted to prevent the coronavirus from expanding through more places and taking appropriate measures to achieve it.Although the outbreak began in China, there are already some cases of people affected by the coronavirus in different parts of the world. The majority of sick people are in the Asian country, but due to the influx of tourists and business people who normally travel to China, there are currently sick people in other places. Knowing the real situation of this disease is not easy as it varies at all times, but thanks to Johns Hopkins University we can know.They develop a website that allows observing in real time the number of people affectedJohns Hopkins University, in the United States, has developed a website that allows you to observe in real time the number of people suffering from the coronavirus and its location. It can also know the number of deaths that have been caused by this virus and the number of people who have recovered. The image provided by the web we can see a map with red areas that represent each affected country and how the outbreak has already spread in different areas of the world. Currently it is the best way to know the reality of this virus and know in what state are people from different countries that have been affected.center_img Coronavirus is a type of virus whose origin is unknownDeveloped to track the number of people affected in real timelast_img read more

Read More →

The day Semedo lived the same as Marega in Guimarães

first_imgIn 2017, when he played and suffered something similar with Benfica, he reveals that he felt supported by his club but not by the Portuguese society and press, which on Monday on its covers unanimously defended the performance of the Porto player. “I felt very supported by my colleagues and Benfica but not so much by public opinion. I remember reading an article in which they criticized my gesture saying that the client (the fan who pays admission) is always right and that the only interaction that is allowed from a player to an amateur is applause. They would not expect me to applaud an act of racism … “, he confessed. As a solution, Semedo calls for an improvement of the arbitration protocol for these situations and a more decisive performance by the members. “The first person to react in this type of situation has to be the referee. What I would have to do, in my opinion, is to suspend the match and not wait for a player to suffer so much that he has to leave the field “he sentenced. Nelson Semedo acknowledged in the Portuguese newspaper Público that during his time at Benfica he suffered a similar episode of racism Moussa Marega spent this weekend in the match between Vitoria Guimarães and Porto at the Estadio D. Afonso Henriques. The striker wanted to leave the field after suffering racist insults by local fans and was replaced by Conceicao, who decided to take him off the field. In this diary, Semedo supported the attempt to leave the grass of his partner and says that, today, he would act evenl. The same did not happen in 2017, when it was his turn to visit this stadium against Benfica and he even saw the yellow one for reacting with a gesture that affected the attitude of the fans towards the bench of the rival team. “Today I would have acted differently. At that time I was not so mature. If it happened to me today, I would have done exactly what Marega did: leave the country”, recognize.“What happened in Guimarães is unfortunate. In football, as in life there is no place for racism. Marega was very brave to leave the game. It is a problem worldwide and increasingly common due to lack of punishment or because the punishment has been mild by UEFA or the federations, “says Semedo in support of the performance of the Porto player and asking for greater penalties for the aggressors.last_img read more

Read More →

Fifth bench change in Salamanca! Larrazabal dismissed

first_imgCortes responded to the call with professionalism and work incessantly, although the irregularity in the team’s game caused his departure. Salamanca thanked him for his delivery and, now, returns to be the coach of the subsidiary. Since then (he was dismissed on October 29), the entity worked conscientiously to hire a ‘master’ who takes the staff to the top. In the search month, Rafa Dueñas provisionally held the position of first technician. With Larrazabal ‘found’, the project once again had a helmsman, although the objective never changed: to ascend to Second division. He tried, but he also failed to straighten the course. Now, Rafa Dueñas returns to assume the direction.Larrazabal says goodbye with a critical situationAt 48, Larrazabal arrived with the endorsement of his professional career as a footballer. In Athletic, the new coach of Salamanca added a total of 445 games. After his retirement, he assumed the quarry management of his usual entity. He also tested the benches in the Marbella (2016), the Amorebieta (2016-17) and Barakaldo, with which he came to play a Playoff promotion to LaLiga SmartBank.Upon arrival, the Salamanca occupied the sixth position of Group II of Second Division B, with 23 points and was four from the subsidiary of the Royal Society, the one that marked Playoff positions. Now, the promotion promotion phase to LaLiga SmartBank and the Play Out to only three points is eleven points. The two consecutive defeats have exhausted the patience of the board, which returns to bet on the change in the bench to trace the flight. In the continuous swing in which the Salamanca CF UDS has lived Since the beginning of the season, stability is still not taken definitively. After the dismissal of Pablo Cortés as coach of the first team, Rafa Dueñas assumed the position provisionally. It lasted for a month until the club reached an agreement with what appeared to be its coach in 2019-20: Aitor Larrazabal. This happened in November and there is a new official statement to fire the technician and find a new air to relaunch the complicated situation of the entity. Bad moment: the great derby comes before the Unionists over the weekend.Aitor Lazarrabal, although he has enjoyed three months of opportunity, is no longer the tenant of the Helmántico bench. Before his arrival, four other coaches undertook, without success, the adventure of bringing the shield of the late Union back to professional football. The first chosen was José Luis Trejo, still with great participation in the club. He had to leave office because of problems with his license, although he does not rule out take responsibility next season. In fact, in an interview in Cope he let him glimpse: “We’ve already talked about it and it’s the idea“.Once the club knew the impossibility of giving Trejo the controls, he hired Chiquimarco. His journey only lasted three days. The ex-arbitrator accused the board of directors of demanding to face him, while the coach he relieved was still directing ‘in the shadows’. Thus, Salamanca, aware of the enormous instability that the news produced, he called Pablo Cortés, a man of the house, to give oxygen to a staff that overcame a cyclone of adversities before what seemed to be an exciting season.last_img read more

Read More →

21st Century Cracks: Mortimer, ‘silent’ talent for Barça

first_imgHe arrived at La Masia in the 2013-14 season from Malaga. He took his first steps in football at the age of four at UD La Mosca, a team from his native Malaga. There he caught the attention of Sevilla, but the 200 kilometers that separated the Sevilla training camp from his home made it an impossible mission to continue in his quarry. He had to return to UD La Mosca, where he captured the attention of Málaga in Alevín. Upon arriving at La Masia, he was always overshadowed by more media players than he was: in his first year at Infantil B he shared attack with Kubo and Ansu Fati. Less known, but with a talent that makes the Blaugrana leaders see him with first-team potential in the future.In the Spanish Selection they have him. He was called up for the 2018 Under-17 Euro Cup (although he was not the undisputed starter of that team). He also won a tournament in Slovakia in May 2019 with the U-18. It was a friendly tournament, since the Under-18 category does not exist officially by UEFA, they are championships organized by the Federations to prepare the transition of the players from U-17 to U-19. Mortimer burns stages naturally but with a firm step … Nils Mortimer (Málaga, 2001) has been overshadowed by the explosion of Ansu Fati, a player with whom he shares demarcation and with whom he has shared costumes despite being two years older. However, Barça also has another project in this left-handed player from Malaga that he should keep in mind for the future.He is a skillful winger, who associates well and very easily to see goal thanks to its verticality. He can play in either of the two bands and also as a center forward (false ‘nine’). Although he is in Juvenil A, sometimes the subsidiary has him: debuted last year, at just 17 years old, and this season he has played six games.last_img read more

Read More →